Dumbarton 3 - 4 Arbroath 

League - Second Division
Saturday, September 10th, 2011, 3:00 PM at Strathclyde Homes Stadium
Attendance: 640
Referee: Stephen Finnie
Dumbarton v Arbroath, Sep 10th 2011, Strathclyde Homes Stadium
Dumbarton  Arbroath

Bryan Prunty (5)
Mark Gilhaney (16)
Kevin Nicoll (37)
Lee Sibanda (14)
Gavin Swankie (27)
Gavin Swankie (46)
Steven Doris (68) Pen

Team Managers
Alan Adamson Paul Sheerin

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
Martin McNiff
James Creaney
Paul Nugent
Jamie Lyden
Scott Agnew
Kevin Nicoll
Mark Gilhaney
Martin McBride
Bryan Prunty
Pat Walker
Darren Hill
Kevin Brown
Craig Wedderburn
Graham Girvan
Beau Busch
Paul Sheerin
Gavin Swankie
Lee Sibanda
Josh Falkingham
Brian Kerr
Steven Doris

Stephen Grindlay
Tony Wallace
Graeme Ramage
David Winters
Kieran Brannan
Michael White
Stuart Malcolm
Keith Gibson
Pedram Ardalany
Lee Bryce

David Winters for Pat Walker (71)
Kieran Brannan for Martin McBride (71)
Graeme Ramage for James Creaney (85)
Pedram Ardalany for Lee Sibanda (59)
Keith Gibson for Josh Falkingham (76)
Lee Bryce for Gavin Swankie (79)

Martin McNiff (89)
Josh Falkingham (70)
Pedram Ardalany (83)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 5 apps -
Paul Nugent 42 apps -
Jamie Lyden 6 apps2 goals
Martin McNiff 52 apps1 goal
James Creaney 30 apps -
Kevin Nicoll 7 apps1 goal
Mark Gilhaney 37 apps11 goals
Martin McBride 6 apps1 goal
Scott Agnew 8 apps3 goals
Bryan Prunty 7 apps6 goals
Pat Walker 31 apps10 goals
Kieran Brannan (sub) 49 apps1 goal
Graeme Ramage (sub) 7 apps -
David Winters (sub) 19 apps5 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jamie Lyden (17 years 345 days)
Oldest Player:Bryan Prunty (28 years 248 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 325 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jamie Lyden (17 years 345 days)
Oldest Player:Stephen Grindlay (29 years 188 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 178 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Kevin Nicoll scored his first goal for the Club.

IN an exciting game with opportunities and errors aplenty, Dumbarton were finally defeated at the Rock by assured looking visitors Arbroath, going down 4-3 after having led 3-2 at half time.

"We had a lot of chances and the game could have ended six each," commented Dumbarton gaffer Alan Adamson afterwards.

Sons started confidently, probing and pushing the Red Lichties, and setting out a clear intent to take the match to their opponents. Pat Walker was soon harrying the Arbroath defence.

On five minutes the pressure was rewarded. Bryan Prunty finished neatly after an assist from Walker. Sons continued to drive the game. First Darren Hill saved a driving shot from James Creaney. Then Beau Busch got a foot to a Walker attempt, just turning it over the bar.

On 14 minutes the Red Lichties were level. Lee Sibanda took advantage of some loose defending and curled a beautiful, floating ball past Sons 'keeper Jamie Ewings from 20 yards on the far edge of the area.

Dumbarton looked shocked. Arbroath's impressive striker Gavin Swankie tried to repeat Sibanda's feat, but he was just off target, with Ewings stranded.

Suddenly Sons were ahead again. Seizing on a loose ball in a packed area, Mark Gilhaney made no mistake, slotting home right in front of goal to make it 2-1.

Continued Dumbarton pressure presented Martin McBride with two opportunities to extend the home side's lead. His first shot spilled straight into Hill's arms. The second, a long range attempt from outside the area, raked high and wide.

Arbroath looked dangerous on the break as both sides pursued an attacking strategy. Steven Doris came close before Swankie drew the Red Lichties level with an almost identical goal to the visitors' first. This time it was from a closer, central position, but again delightfully curled.

Gilhaney immediately went on a darting, swivelling solo run for Dumbarton, but his goal attempt was straight at the 'keeper. Swankie and Paul Sherrin had chances for Arbroath, the latter skying the ball over the crossbar.

Then on 38 minutes Kevin Nicoll sneaked in at the near post to put Sons into the lead for the third time in the game. Doris had another opportunity for the visitors before the break, but the half-time score remained 3-2.

Immediately after the restart Dumbarton were caught sleeping by an alert Arbroath attack. A defensive mix-up between Creaney and Martin McNiff spilled the ball to Swankie for his second goal, making it 3-3 on 46 minutes.

The Red Lichties grew in confidence throughout the half and started to dictate the pace of the game from the middle of the park. Ewings denied Swankie a hat-tick with an important save from a swinging shot.

The dangerous looking Sibanda gave way to Pedram Ardallany for the visitors on 59 minutes. Four minutes later Sheering's corner was dropped into a packed Sons area. Several Arbroath players had half-chances, but somehow the ball squirted out harmlessly.

At the other end, Hill made a fine save from a vicious, dipping Scott Agnew shot. Nicoll was booked for an infringement a few moments later, and then on 68 minutes Dumbarton conceded a penalty. Steven Doris drove the ball confidently into the roof of the net to put Arbroath 4-3 in front.

Walker and McBride were replaced by David Winters and Kieran Brannan for Sons, while the Red Lichties replaced Josh Falkingham with Keith Gibson and Swankie with Lee Bryce.

There were chances at both ends in what remained of the game. Ewings made a good, low save from Doris for Arbroath, and Lyden struck a cross-cum-shot which went just over the bar for Dumbarton.

Sons tried hard to claim at least a point. An Agnew free-kick, following a Winters dummy, went wide. Gilhaney forced his way through, but his effort fizzled into the side netting. Lyden stretched to head over the bar with the back of his head.

On 84 minutes Kevin Brown saved Arbroath as the ball skewed across the box and Gilhaney struck again. Graeme Ramage replaced Creaney on 85 minutes. But time eventually ran out for Dumbarton in the quest for an equaliser.

Overall, Sons played some good football. But they remained vulnerable to the precision and quality of Arbroath's counter attacks and prone to slips at the back.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet