Albion Rovers 3 - 1 Dumbarton

League - Second Division
Saturday, December 10th, 2011, 3:00 PM at Cliftonhill
Attendance: 489
Referee: Brian Colvin
Albion Rovers v Dumbarton, Dec 10th 2011, Cliftonhill
Albion Rovers Dumbarton 

John Gemmell (5)
John Gemmell (25)
Robert Love (60)
Bryan Prunty (37)

Team Managers
Paul Martin Alan Adamson

Starting Eleven
Derek Gaston
Todd Lumsden
Anthony Stevenson
Simon Marriott
Michael O'Byrne
Scott Chaplain
Ciaran Donnelly
Alan Reid
John Gemmell
Robert Love
Steven Lawless
Jamie Ewings
Alan Lithgow
Paul Nugent
James Creaney
Tony Wallace
Dominic Kennedy
Scott Agnew
Ryan Borris
Mark Gilhaney
Bryan Prunty
Pat Walker

Christopher Fahey
Chris Boyle
Thomas Reilly
James Gilmartin
Ryan McStay
Stephen Grindlay
Jamie Lyden
Kieran Brannan
Graeme Ramage
David Winters

Ryan McStay for Simon Marriott (75)
Thomas Reilly for Steven Lawless (76)
James Gilmartin for John Gemmell (87)
Kieran Brannan for Ryan Borris (62)
Graeme Ramage for Pat Walker (62)
Jamie Lyden for James Creaney (84)

Todd Lumsden (16)
Simon Marriott (39)
Anthony Stevenson (89)
Paul Nugent (12)
Scott Agnew (21)
Tony Wallace (67)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 11 apps -
Alan Lithgow 18 apps1 goal
Paul Nugent 53 apps -
James Creaney 41 apps -
Tony Wallace 17 apps -
Dominic Kennedy 3 apps -
Scott Agnew 19 apps8 goals
Ryan Borris 95 apps7 goals
Mark Gilhaney 49 apps13 goals
Bryan Prunty 19 apps8 goals
Pat Walker 43 apps11 goals
Jamie Lyden (sub) 7 apps2 goals
Kieran Brannan (sub) 56 apps1 goal
Graeme Ramage (sub) 9 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Dominic Kennedy (19 years 243 days)
Oldest Player:Bryan Prunty (28 years 339 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 157 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jamie Lyden (18 years 71 days)
Oldest Player:Stephen Grindlay (29 years 279 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 282 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Irn Bru SFL Division Two
TWO goals from an ex-Son in the first half of Dumbarton's match against Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill effectively sealed the fate of a dispiriting game on a cold afternoon.

Sons boss Alan Adamson commented afterwards: “We're very disappointed with how things turned out. We knew it was going to be a battle and, put simply, Albion Rovers won that battle.”

Dumbarton had an early opportunity to take the lead, when a fine shot from Mark Gilhaney struck the crossbar in the third minute. James Creaney added to the pressure on Wee Rovers from the wing.

But within five minutes the visitors found themselves behind after a corner from Albion's Tony Stevenson was nodded on by Michael O'Byrne and John Gemmell took advantage of defensive hesitation to head in from close-range.

On 10 minutes Sons looked vulnerable again, as Steven Lawless was allowed through and Gemell came close with a spectacular overhead kick. The away side pushed back, but found the going tough in midfield.

Dumbarton 'keeper Jamie Ewings made a fine double save on 20 minutes, as Albion Rovers pursued a direct game on the tricky Cliftonhill surface with some determination.

Then, 18 minutes after his opening goal, Gemmell struck again. Derek Gaston made a long clearance which was headed out to the left wing. On-loan Motherwell striker Lawless put in a searching cross, and the ex-Son headed in powerfully on the far post.

Sons began to take more possession. On the half-hour Pat Walker had go at a scissors kick against his former charges. The ball was not cleared, but the incoming Bryan Prunty could not quite get there in time to convert the half chance.

Then after 35 minutes the big No. 9 showed great persistence in front of goal and scrambled the ball in to make in 2-1 and to put Dumbarton back into the game before the break.

As the first half drew to a close, Prunty had an audacious backheel flick turned away for a corner.

The second period soon became a battle of wills in the middle of the park. In less than ideal conditions, the Wee Rovers were more direct in their approach and also looked more decisive in the final third.

But Sons still had more of the chances. Creaney drove just past the far post. A Ryan Borris cross found Paul Nugent on the near post, but his header went straight into the arms of Rovers 'keeper Derek Gaston.

It always seemed likely that the next goal would have a decisive influence on the final outcome, and so it proved when Lawless' passed to another ex-Son, Scott Chaplain, whose shot was blocked by former Albion goalie Ewings. The home side's Robert Love quickly latched on to the ball and made it 3-1 with a low, well-angled drive.

Trying to re-seize the initiative, Dumbarton brought on Graeme Ramage and Keiran Brannan replace Walker and Borris. They sill they could not convert possession into real chances, however.

Creaney again broke through on the near post, but his final shot did not live up to the promise of the build-up. In a last throw of the dice for Sons, he was replaced by Jamie Lyden.

Alan Lithgow prevented another upset by Albion with a decisive clearance on 83 minutes. But Dumbarton could not find a way through at the other end, and the Wee Rovers succeeded in climbing over them to claim fourth spot in Division Two.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Programme cover / Team sheet