Dumbarton 3 - 4 Airdrieonians 

League - First Division
Saturday, October 27th, 2012, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 774
Referee: Willie Collum
Dumbarton v Airdrieonians, Oct 27th 2012, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  Airdrieonians

Bryan Prunty (23)
Jim Lister (27)
Steven McDougall (75)
Keiron Stallard (65)
Joshua Watt (68)
Ross Forsyth (88) O.G.
Nathan Blockley (90)

Team Managers
Jimmy Boyle

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
Alan Lithgow
Ross Forsyth
James Creaney
Andy Graham
Garry Fleming
Scott Agnew
Chris Turner
Mark Gilhaney
Jim Lister
Bryan Prunty
Kenny Arthur
David Lilley
Marc Warren
Grant Evans
Kieron Stallard
Gregor Buchanan
Jack Boyle
Nathan Blockley
Joshua Watt
John Boyle
Paul Di Giacomo

Stephen Grindlay
Martin McNiff
Nicky Devlin
Mark Lamont
Steven McDougall
Andrew Duncan
Ryan Donnelly
Ivica Vrdoljak
Jamie Bain
Gavin Griffin

Nicky Devlin for James Creaney (36)
Steven McDougall for Chris Turner (61)
Gavin Griffin for David Lilley (11)
Ivica Vrdoljak for Jack Boyle (55)
Jamie Bain for Gregor Buchanan (60)

Andy Graham (66)
Steven McDougall (90)
John Boyle (43)
Jamie Bain (70)
Keiron Stallard (75)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 14 apps -
Ross Forsyth 7 apps -
James Creaney 73 apps -
Andy Graham 10 apps -
Alan Lithgow 53 apps4 goals
Scott Agnew 53 apps13 goals
Chris Turner 4 apps -
Mark Gilhaney 82 apps19 goals
Garry Fleming 13 apps -
Bryan Prunty 53 apps21 goals
Jim Lister 13 apps6 goals
Nicky Devlin (sub) 32 apps -
Steven McDougall (sub) 10 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:James Creaney (24 years 14 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 251 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 170 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (19 years 15 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 251 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 71 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Steven McDougall scored his first goal for the Club.

DUMBARTON are yet to pick up their first win in the Irn-Bru Scottish First division this season, after suffering a 4-3 defeat at home to Airdrie United.

Goals from Bryan Prunty and Jim Lister put Sons in a commanding position going into the break. However, Kieran Stallard and Joshua Watt leveled the scores for Airdrie 25 minutes into the second half.

Dumbarton substitute Steven McDougall then scored to put Dumbarton 3-2 up just 7 minutes later, but an own goal in the 89th minute, and a Nathan Blockley header in the 90th minute handed all the points to the Diamonds.

The first 10 minutes of play belonged to Sons. Several corners were won, but nothing to bother the opposition goalkeeper. However, one Alan Lithgow header did go just wide.

An early injury meant Airdrie captain David Lilley was substituted by Gavin Griffin.

Dumbarton had a good chance to open the scoring through Jim Lister just a few minutes later. A great through ball from Mark Gilhaney sent right-back Andy Graham racing down the wing.

His first time ball fell to Lister, but he could not strike the ball cleanly enough to trouble Kenny Arthur in the Diamonds' goal.

The home side's best chance then fell to captain Bryan Prunty. A fantastic outside of the foot, swerving pass from Scott Agnew split the Airdrie defence in two, before Prunty chased on to it. He took a touch before firing a shot which was parried wide by the Airdrie 'keeper.

From the resulting corner, Alan Lithgow again won the ball in the air and his header went even closer to finding the net, just shaving the left hand post.

Then on 23 minutes captain Bryan Prunty opened the scoring for Dumbarton. Mark Gilhaney was again the provider of a decisive pass, as he fed James Creaney down the left wing.

Creaney's first time cross found its way to Prunty and his volley nestled into the bottom corner of the Airdrie net.

Dumbarton did not rest after that goal, and immediately pushed back on to the opposition to try and find a second. It nearly came through Scott Agnew, when his fierce 25 yard free kick was parried wide.

The goal did come from the resulting corner, however. Agnew's first attempt was cleared back out to him. He took the ball forward before drilling it into the six yard box, where Lister was able to slide it home and double Sons' lead.

Airdrie seemed to wake up at that point, and nearly found an equaliser through Josh Watt. He ran down the right wing before cutting in past Gilhaney and Creaney and unleashing a ferocious shot.

It looked as if it had been tipped wide by Dumbarton 'keeper Jamie Ewings, but referee Willie Collum signalled for a goal kick.

That was the last action of the first half. However, Airdrie front man John Boyle did pick up a booking for dissent shortly before the whistle blew.

The second half was a rather different affair, with the away side mostly dominating proceedings.

Within 30 seconds of the re-start, Dumbarton could have made it 3-0. Garry Fleming latched on to a long ball. He opted to pass to Prunty, who rushed his strike instead of composing himself and then shooting. The shot ended up going high and wide.

Airdrie United and Dumbarton then both made changes. For Sons, Bryan Prunty and Chris Turner were replaced by Mark Lamont and Steven McDougall. For Airdrie, Willie McLaren took the place of Jack Boyle.

United immediately pulled a goal back after their substitution. The Dumbarton defence fell asleep at a corner, which allowed Airdrie to take it quickly. The ball was swung across the area and converted by Kieron Stallard to reduce the defecit to only one goal.

Dumbarton then had a chance to restore the margin of their lead. Gilhaney, McDougall and Lister had plenty of time between them in the area, facing down two Airdrie defenders, but they took too many passes and the opportunity was lost.

Next, Andy Graham picked up a yellow card for a shove on Watt. Then on 68 minutes, the scores were level. A run from the visitors' John Boyle got him in behind the Dumbarton defence, and he cut across for Josh Watt, who simply couldn't miss from just a few yards out.

Jamie Bain was the next man in the referee's notebook, after a foul to stop Dumbarton breaking away.

Sons went back ahead on 75 minutes. Steven McDougall picked the ball up, at pace, 18 yards out. He used some swift footwork to edge past two Airdrie defenders before slotting under the onrushing Arthur in the Diamonds goal to make it 3-2 to Dumbarton.

Garry Fleming was perhaps fortunate to escape with a yellow card after a crunching tackle in the middle of the pitch. Sons' left back James Creaney then picked up an injury and hobbled off to be replaced by Nicky Devlin.

Dumbarton should have managed to see the game out from there, but on 89 minutes Airdrie struck back with an equaliser. A corner evaded everyone in the penalty area, before coming to Airdrie midfielder Nathan Blockley. His shot seemed to be deflected into his own net from centre back Ross Forsyth.

Sons immediately gave the ball away from the restart, and the Diamonds duly punished them again. John Boyle's cross was perfect for Blockley to lose his man, and then to nod home at the back post, sending the away support into ecstasy while finally sinking Sons' hopes.

Dumbarton had no chance of replying to this fourth goal, as the referee blew for full time less than two minutes after the final Airdrie blow.

Sons will undoubtedly be very disappointed to give away a two goal lead once more, and even more so to concede twice in the closing minutes missing out on a home win in that manner for the second time this season.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet