Dumbarton 1 - 5 Greenock Morton 

League - First Division
Saturday, November 17th, 2012, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 1,188
Referee: Stevie O'Reilly
Dumbarton v Greenock Morton, Nov 17th 2012, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  Greenock Morton

Bryan Prunty (84)
Martin Hardie (3) Pen
Martin Hardie (17)
Peter Weatherson (37)
David Graham (54)
Peter Weatherson (61)

Team Managers
Allan Moore

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
James Creaney
Martin McNiff
Nicky Devlin
Andy Graham
Garry Fleming
Mark Gilhaney
Scott Agnew
Jim Lister
Steven McDougall
Bryan Prunty
Derek Gaston
Kevin Rutkiewicz
Craig Reid
Willie Dyer
David Graham
Martin Hardie
David O'Brien
Michael Tidser
Scott Taggart
Fouad Bachirou
Peter Weatherson

Stephen Grindlay
Ross Forsyth
Jamie Lyden
Phil Johnston
Mark Lamont
David Hutton
Mark McLaughlin
Lewis Hawke
Kyle Wilkie
Jordan Halsman

Mark Lamont for Steven McDougall (60)
Phil Johnston for Jim Lister (73)
Jordan Halsman for Willie Dyer (72)
Kyle Wilkie for Fouad Bachirou (77)
Lewis Hawke for Peter Weatherson (77)

Jim Lister (52)
Garry Fleming (72)
Willie Dyer (15)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 17 apps -
Nicky Devlin 35 apps -
Andy Graham 13 apps1 goal
James Creaney 75 apps -
Martin McNiff 92 apps3 goals
Scott Agnew 56 apps13 goals
Garry Fleming 15 apps -
Mark Gilhaney 85 apps20 goals
Jim Lister 16 apps7 goals
Steven McDougall 13 apps1 goal
Bryan Prunty 56 apps23 goals
Phil Johnston (sub) 12 apps -
Mark Lamont (sub) 25 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (19 years 36 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 272 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 97 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (19 years 36 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 272 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 245 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


AFTER the buzz of Dumbarton's opening First Division victory against Cowdenbeath last week, expectations were high for this important home encounter with Greenock Morton.

Unfortunately, the 'Ton proved to be very much on song, whereas Sons often seemed out of sorts throughout the game.

Dumbarton started out attacking towards the home end, after match mascot Neil Jenkinson (pictured) had led the teams out onto the pitch.

Things started to go downhill very rapidly for Sons. On three minutes Morton's David Graham latched onto a through ball, touching it round advancing 'keeper Jamie Ewings, who brought him down while going for the ball.

The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Martin Hardie stepped up confidently to send Ewings the wrong way and give the visitors a 1-0 lead before the game had even started to settle down.

Sons looked rattled by the early setback and Morton immediately began to appear measured and purposeful on the ball.

A good cross into the area from Dumbarton's Steven McDougall reached Martin McNiff at the back post as the home side pushed back, but he was unable to connect properly with his header.

Morton almost added a second goal not long afterwards, when Ewings denied Craig Reid with a well-placed foot.

At the other end, Bryan Prunty was stopped in his tracks by a foul from Willie Dyer who went into the referee's book for his infringement.

On 17 minutes Dumbarton were two behind. A corner found Hardie standing virtually unmarked ten yards out and he headed home firmly. It was all too easy for Morton.

The further setback did not help either Dumbarton's confidence or their overall shape.

The 'Ton found plenty of time and space on the ball, while Sons' attacks were not being translated into chances on goal.

David Graham almost made it three for the visitors with a fizzing shot the flashed just past Ewings' post.

Then on 37 minutes a third Morton goal came when a long ball from the right reached dangerous striker Peter Weatherson only three yards from the goal. He made the resulting nod-in seem simple.

It looked worryingly as though a full-blown collapse was on the cards, but Ewings prevented further damage just before the break with an outstanding full stretch save from a vicious curling shot by Graham.

Physical conditions deteriorated in the second half, as swirling wind and driving rain swept across the Bet Butler stadium.

Back on the pitch, Dumbarton's Jim Lister was booked for a late tackle on Kevin Rutkiewicz.

Most of the traffic continued to flow against Dumbarton and Scott Agnew was not having any luck with his set pieces either. The third of his free kicks throughout the game went tamely into the Morton wall.

On 54 minutes any thought of a revival was buried with a comedy goal from persistently threatening David Graham, who along with Weatherson, Michael Tisder and Hardie had been causing Sons' defence all kinds of difficulties.

This time Graham's corner swerved in, aided by a strong gust of wind, and left everyone standing as it swung unaided into the Dumbarton net. 4-0 to Morton.

Sons had a couple of chances. Prunty fired over the crossbar. Then there was a half chance for Lister as he has a shot across 'keeper Derek Gaston, who recovered to make a save.

Interim manager Jack Ross made the first change for Dumbarton just after the hour, bringing on Mark Lamont in place of the struggling Steven McDougall.

Just afterwards, Weatherson made it five for Morton. His drive into the bottom right-hand corner of the net just scraped past Jamie Ewings. The 'keeper got his fingers to the shot, but not sufficiently to divert it wide.

More changes came for Dumbarton on 73 minutes. A double substitution brought on Ross Forsyth in place of Garry Fleming, and Phil Johnston instead of Jim Lister.

Meanwhile, former Son Jordan Halsman came on for Willie Dyer for Morton, who by this time were moving the ball around with ease, in spite of the surface water on the grass.

With six minutes left on the clock, Bryan Prunty grabbed a late consolation goal for Dumbarton, thanks to a well-placed shot from the edge of the penalty area.

For once Morton's defence had looked uncertain, and the big Sons striker manoeuvred well to take his chance to make it 5-1.

It was not enough to do more than add a small positive note to what had been a hugely disappointing afternoon, however.

Morton played well, but there had simply not been enough competitiveness and pace from Dumbarton to cause them any problems.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet