Greenock Morton 0 - 3 Dumbarton

League - First Division
Wednesday, January 2nd, 2013, 3:00 PM at Cappielow
Attendance: 2,414
Referee: John Beaton
Greenock Morton v Dumbarton, Jan 2nd 2013, Cappielow
Greenock Morton Dumbarton 

None. Garry Fleming (32)
Scott Agnew (39)
Bryan Prunty (79)

Team Managers
Allan Moore Ian Murray

Starting Eleven
Derek Gaston
Kevin Rutkiewicz
Mark McLaughlin
Craig Reid
Willie Dyer
Martin Hardie
David O'Brien
Michael Tidser
Scott Taggart
Fouad Bachirou
Peter Weatherson
Jamie Ewings
Alan Lithgow
Ross Forsyth
Nicky Devlin
Andy Graham
Scott Agnew
Garry Fleming
Chris Turner
Mark Gilhaney
Jim Lister
Steven McDougall

David Hutton
Kyle Wilkie
Peter MacDonald
Thomas O'Ware
Tony Wallace
Stephen Grindlay
Martin McNiff
Mark Lamont
Marc McCusker
Bryan Prunty

Tony Wallace for Mark McLaughlin (46)
Peter MacDonald for Peter Weatherson (46)
Thomas O'Ware for Craig Reid (88)
Bryan Prunty for Garry Fleming (75)
Marc McCusker for Jim Lister (83)

None. Steven McDougall (56)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 20 apps -
Alan Lithgow 58 apps5 goals
Ross Forsyth 11 apps -
Nicky Devlin 39 apps -
Andy Graham 17 apps1 goal
Scott Agnew 60 apps16 goals
Garry Fleming 18 apps1 goal
Chris Turner 10 apps1 goal
Mark Gilhaney 89 apps20 goals
Jim Lister 20 apps9 goals
Steven McDougall 17 apps1 goal
Bryan Prunty (sub) 60 apps24 goals
Marc McCusker (sub) 2 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (19 years 82 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 318 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 322 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (19 years 82 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 318 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 120 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Garry Fleming scored his first goal for the Club.

ANOTHER tenacious performance from Dumbarton, following the inspiring 4-3 victory at Falkirk, gained a hugely important 3-0 win over league leaders Morton at Cappielow.

Sons' first win of 2013 was secured with a determined, well-organised and focused approach to the game on a damp afternoon in Greenock.

The other big difference between the teams was that Sons took their chances, while 'Ton squandered several of their own.

From the kick-off Morton looked assertive and confident, keen to consolidate their newly acquired position at the top of the Irn Bru SFL First Division.

Scott Taggart and Peter Weatherson had good chances for Morton early on, but Sons' goalie Jamie Ewings was in fine form and pulled off a couple of impressive saves. The first was a double stop, and the second a rescue after a mistimed back pass.

Dumbarton pushed back and showed some menace in the final third, but more of the early traffic was heading in the opposite direction, testing the visitors' concentration and nerves.

However Sons proved adept at adjusting their formation coming out of defence, and avoided over-committing themselves coming forward.

The patience was rewarded on 32 minutes when Mark Gilhaney played a ball to Garry Fleming's feet. He turned his defender and fired in a shot just inside the area. It ricocheted off the post and into the net to give Dumbarton a 1-0.

Seven minutes later, Scott Agnew made it a two-goal lead to the delight of the vocal travelling support.

The industrious Jim Lister, who looked accomplished and threatening to the 'Ton defence every time he got the ball, drove a low shot into the box. The ball broke to Agnew, who fired in again. The home side's 'keeper, Derek Gaston, got his hands to the ball but could not prevent it from going in.

The response from Morton was immediate. They swept forward in search of a goal to get them back into the game before half time. But Dumbarton's back line held its nerve, and the midfield took pressure off the defence by holding up the ball whenever possible.

As expected, 'Ton came back strongly again after the break, bringing on ex-Son Tony Wallace as part of a double substitution that hailed their intent to fight back.

Dumbarton soon found themselves resisting wave after wave of attack, while trying to regain possession.

Meanwhile, in an absorbing and tactical second 45 minutes, Morton were exposing themselves to counter-attack by trying to move the game up the park, and Sons reacted quickly to take advantage when they could.

In a high quality move, Lister put Agnew in just outside the area. His half volley flashed over the bar.

Sons also rode their luck at times. After a 'Ton free kick from 25 yards was parried out by Ewings, Kevin Rutkiewicz found the ball at his feat but panicked and shot wide from only five yards out.

By this time Morton looked back in control of the game, but Dumbarton continued to hold on to their two-goal lead and make the occasional foray forward.

Mark Gilhaney, twisting and turning in the area, came close for Sons. He fired a shot, which clipped a defender and went into the side netting.

With fifteen minutes left on the clock, Dumbarton gaffer Ian Murray made a decisive switch, taking off goal scorer Garry Fleming and replacing him with Bryan Prunty.

It turned out to be an inspired move. First the big forward turned in a corner, which was won by Andy Graham and had to be cleared off the line by the home side.

Then on 79 minutes the fired-up Steven McDougall went on an impressive run down the left-hand side of the pitch. He beat three defenders and passed to Prunty, who side-footed home to wrap the game up at 3-0.

On previous occasions Dumbarton have conceded under physical and mental pressure towards the end of matches. On this occasion they showed steel and extra determination to maintain a clean sheet and avoid last-minute panic.

Fouad Bachirou spun and shot on the edge of the box for Morton, but Sons 'keeper Ewings got down well to save and hold. Another effort crashed off the crossbar.

At the other end of the field, McDougall continued to torment the home defence for Dumbarton. He had one sharply angled attempt cleared off the line.

On 83 minutes Jim Lister gave way to Sons' new signing Marc McCusker. Then a couple of minutes before full-time, Gilhaney was replaced by Mark Lamont for the final appearance of his loan spell.

The final whistle was greeted with a huge roar from the away support. It was perhaps Dumbarton's best performance of the season so far, and sets the team up well for two challenging home games against Dunfermline Athletic and Partick Thistle over the coming fortnight.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info