Dumbarton 4 - 1 East Stirlingshire 

Scottish Cup - 3rd Round
Saturday, November 3rd, 2012, 3:00 PM at Bet Butler Stadium
Attendance: 446
Referee: Craig Charleston
Dumbarton v East Stirlingshire, Nov 3rd 2012, Bet Butler Stadium
Dumbarton  East Stirlingshire

Andy Graham (13)
Jim Lister (45)
Bryan Prunty (76)
Alan Lithgow (89)
David Greenhill (44)

Team Managers
John Coughlin

Starting Eleven
Jamie Ewings
Ross Forsyth
Nicky Devlin
Andy Graham
Alan Lithgow
Garry Fleming
Chris Turner
Mark Gilhaney
Scott Agnew
Bryan Prunty
Jim Lister
Grant Hay
Sean Kelly
Nathan Shepard
Steven Jackson
Ricky Miller
David Greenhill
Jamie McKernon
Kevin Turner
Scott Maxwell
Phillip Zufle
Paul Quinn

Stephen Grindlay
Martin McNiff
Mark Lamont
Phil Johnston
Steven McDougall
Craig Gordon
Michael Hunter
Craig Hume
Mark Begg
Michael Herd

Steven McDougall for Mark Gilhaney (65)
Mark Lamont for Bryan Prunty (77)
Phil Johnston for Garry Fleming (83)
Michael Herd for Scott Maxwell (52)

Alan Lithgow (57)
Chris Turner (62)
Garry Fleming (72)
Steven Jackson (75)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jamie Ewings (GK) 15 apps -
Ross Forsyth 8 apps -
Nicky Devlin 33 apps -
Andy Graham 11 apps1 goal
Alan Lithgow 54 apps5 goals
Garry Fleming 14 apps -
Chris Turner 5 apps -
Mark Gilhaney 83 apps19 goals
Scott Agnew 54 apps13 goals
Bryan Prunty 54 apps22 goals
Jim Lister 14 apps7 goals
Phil Johnston (sub) 11 apps -
Mark Lamont (sub) 23 apps -
Steven McDougall (sub) 11 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (19 years 22 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 258 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 11 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Nicky Devlin (19 years 22 days)
Oldest Player:Jim Lister (31 years 258 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 34 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Andy Graham scored his first goal for the Club.

DUMBARTON brought some cheer to a cold, rainy afternoon with a decisive 4-1 victory against East Stirlingshire in the third round of the Scottish Cup at the Bet Butler Stadium.

The Third Division visitors showed real determination in the first half, but it was Sons who went ahead.

There was a post-Halloween fright for Dumbarton just before half time, but
Sons responded immediately, and then carried the day comfortably in the second half, claiming 56% possession overall, as well as more goals.

“There were periods when we didn't play so well, and other periods when we did,” commented interim Dumbarton manager Jack Ross after the game. “But overall you can't argue with a 4-1 victory.”

East Stirlingshire certainly looked lively early on, passing the ball well and pushing Sons back into their own half in the first ten minutes.

The earliest chances fell to Dumbarton, however. 'Keeper Hay got down to parry for the visitors, as a good drive from Mark Gilhaney capitalised on a ball coming out after a corner.

Then Alan Lithgow won a header from another corner, but his effort chested off the line and scrambled away.

And it was Sons who went ahead when Andy Graham nodded home on 12 minutes, latching on to Scott Agnew's excellent, swerving cross.

The Shire almost got level straight away. A fast attack forced an important clearance off the line from Lithgow for Sons.

Jim Lister and Bryan Prunty had chances for Dumbarton as the half progressed, with the former being denied by the crossbar and the latter firing just wide.

But then on 44 minutes East Stirlingshire hit back. Some lax defending allowed David Greenhill in, and he curled the ball artfully past Jamie Ewings in the Sons goal.

Frustration for the home support was followed by joy literally a minute later, however, as Lister rose to head home on 45 minutes after Nicky Devlin's cross – making it 2-1 to Dumbarton going into the break.

In the second half, East Stirlingshire came out determined to push back. Philip Zufle connected with a great through ball, rounded 'keeper Ewings, but then the ball too wide and missed the target. It was certainly a let-off for Sons.

Lithgow and Chris Turner picked up bookings for Dumbarton before Jack Ross decided to make his first change on 65 minutes, bringing on Steven McDougall for Mark Gilhaney in an attempt to shake the pack up front.

It took a third goal — a tap in from Bryan Prunty on 75 minutes, picking up a sweeping ball from the right after a Lithgow header had been pushed away — for Dumbarton to finally look comfortable in the game.

Big centre forward Prunty was replaced by Mark Lamont a couple of minutes later, while Ian Johnston replaced Garry Fleming six minutes after that.

It had been another positive display from Fleming, whose departure was signalled appreciatively by the crowd.

Dumbarton continued to dominate at this late stage in the game. On 87 minutes a good effort from 12 yards by Steven McDougall forced Grant Hay into a save.

A minute later it was 4-1 to Sons. Lithgow got up to glance Agnew's assist home and wrap the game up comfortably for the home side.

It wasn't always a convincing performance by Dumbarton, with the final score line both flattering them and failing to do justice to the quality the Shire had brought to the match in unpromising conditions.

But the victory was enough to ensure the Sons a place in the fourth round draw of the William Hill Scottish Cup, and to provide a boost ahead of the resumption of the First Division campaign against Cowdenbeath next Saturday.

Match report by Simon Barrow


Programme cover / Team sheet