Dumbarton 1 - 2 Rangers 

League - Championship
Saturday, September 19th, 2015, 3:00 PM at CID Stadium
Attendance: 1,978
Referee: Alan Muir
Dumbarton v Rangers, Sep 19th 2015, CID Stadium
Dumbarton  Rangers

Garry Fleming (pen.) (90)
Martyn Waghorn (64)
Martyn Waghorn (pen.) (73)

Team Managers
Stevie Aitken Mark Warburton

Starting Eleven
Mark Brown
Darren Barr
Mark Docherty
Gregor Buchanan
Garry Fleming
Grant Gallagher
Scott Brown
Willie Gibson
Jon Routledge
Eamonn Brophy
Kevin Cawley
Wes Foderingham
James Tavernier
Lee Wallace
Dominic Ball
Danny Wilson
Nicky Law
Gedion Zelalem
Andy Halliday
Kenny Miller
Barrie McKay
Martyn Waghorn

Jamie Ewings
Frazer Wright
Mikey Hopkins
Calum Waters
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Donald McCallum
Liam Kelly
Rob Kiernan
Nathan Oduwa
Fraser Aird
Dean Shiels
Ryan Hardie
Jordan Thompson

Jordan Kirkpatrick for Eamonn Brophy (54)
Frazer Wright for Kevin Cawley (74)
Calum Waters for Mark Docherty (83)
Nathan Oduwa for Barrie McKay (61)
Dean Shiels for Nicky Law (62)
Fraser Aird for James Tavernier (82)

Eamonn Brophy (38)
Garry Fleming (75)
Willie Gibson (79)
Darren Barr (86)
Lee Wallace (62)
Dominic Ball (90)

Red Cards
Gregor Buchanan (72)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 10 apps -
Darren Barr 8 apps1 goal
Mark Docherty 8 apps -
Gregor Buchanan 10 apps1 goal
Jon Routledge 10 apps -
Garry Fleming 111 apps19 goals
Grant Gallagher 10 apps2 goals
Scott Brown 5 apps -
Willie Gibson 10 apps2 goals
Kevin Cawley 10 apps1 goal
Eamonn Brophy 2 apps -
Calum Waters (sub) 6 apps -
Frazer Wright (sub) 3 apps -
Jordan Kirkpatrick (sub) 67 apps10 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Eamonn Brophy (19 years 197 days)
Oldest Player:Mark Brown (34 years 211 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 295 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Mikey Hopkins (18 years 134 days)
Oldest Player:Frazer Wright (35 years 279 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 6 days
Domestic Players:16 (94.12 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


THAT'S the thing about these games. Everything's got to be note-perfect. Dumbarton's overall performance against Rangers definitely merited some sort of result. Against any other side in the Ladbrokes SPFL Championship, they'd surely have come away with at least a draw. But when you're a part-time side playing against an outfit who have started with 10 straight wins and 38 goals, it's all got to be 100 per cent spot on. Ninety-nine per cent's a maybe. Anything else, you're right up against it. Sixty-three minutes had passed, with Sons absolutely toe to toe with their high-flying opponents, before Martyn Waghorn crashed home the Govan side's opener. Ten minutes later he had his second goal, and Dumbarton had a man less, with Gregor Buchanan sent off in conceding the penalty. It was harsh enough on Sons to be facing defeat. Not even to take a consolation goal would have been a real injustice. However, that was avoided when Garry Fleming put away an injury time penalty. Games against Rangers aren't going to define Dumbarton's season. Fixtures like the next two, away to Raith Rovers and at home to Livingston, will.

There was, though, a very real feeling midway through the afternoon that points could be taken from Rangers, as they were against Hibernian and St Mirren. It would not be wrong to say that, in terms of chances, Sons were on top of the first half, at least until the dying stages. Willie Gibson was at the centre of most of it. After his cross bent narrowly wide of the far post, his 30-yard free kick hit the stanchion behind the goal. Then Fleming connected with his cross in a similar move to his injury time header at Cappielow last week. That hit the post and incredibly, so did this effort. Twelve minutes from half time Gibson was again the provider for a chance. This time Darren Barr was on the end of his cross but his header was saved. Scott Brown was also close with a shot from the edge of the area which just cleared the bar. Then, late in the half, chances came Rangers' way. James Tavernier's shot was turned over the bar by Mark Brown, while the same player's free kick from the edge of the area hit the post.

The second half saw fewer opportunities either way but on 63 minutes Rangers took the lead. Waghorn spun away from his marker and from 30 yards, thrashed home a low drive. It was a setback for Sons, but by no means insurmountable. However, with 17 minutes remaining came the pivotal moment. After Kenny Miller took control of a slack passback, Buchanan's challenge on him only resulted in the striker falling down inside the area. The centre half saw red, Waghorn did the business from 12 yards, and that may very well have been game over. Indeed, Brown did brilliantly to deny Andy Halliday a third goal, making a fantastic save from midfielder's 20-yard shot. However, despite fewer chances in the second half, Sons did get a consolation goal after Grant Gallagher sent a free kick into the area. Danny Wilson's nudge on substitute Frazer Wright was enough to warrant a second penalty of the match, which Fleming rolled home. The time wasn't there to complete the comeback. But despite coming out of the game with no points, Sons ended the afternoon taking huge credit from onlookers in all parts of the stadium. They would, though, surely swap the plaudits for points when they visit Kirkcaldy this week.

Match report by Andy Galloway

Photography by Donald Fullarton


Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info