Greenock Morton 2 - 3 Dumbarton

Challenge Cup - 1st Round
Saturday, July 25th, 2015, 3:00 PM at Cappielow
Attendance: 1,418
Referee: Craig Charleston
Greenock Morton v Dumbarton, Jul 25th 2015, Cappielow
Greenock Morton Dumbarton 

Lee Kilday (73)
Peter MacDonald (pen.) (83)
Grant Gallagher (6)
Grant Gallagher (30)
Garry Fleming (65)

Team Managers
Jim Duffy Stevie Aitken

Starting Eleven
Derek Gaston
Lee Kilday
Thomas O'Ware
Conor Pepper
Mark Russell
Joe McKee
Ross Forbes
Stefan McCluskey
Bobby Barr
Peter MacDonald
Jon Scullion
Mark Brown
Calum Waters
Darren Barr
Gregor Buchanan
Jon Routledge
Scott Taggart
Garry Fleming
Grant Gallagher
Willie Gibson
Jamie Lindsay
Kevin Cawley

Grant Adam
Jordan Cairnie
Thomas Orr
Dylan Stevenson
John Tennant
Nathan Adger
Andy Graham
Mikey Hopkins
Darren Miller
Donald McCallum
Gordon Smith

Jordan Cairnie for Thomas O'Ware (46)
Dylan Stevenson for Joe McKee (59)
Thomas Orr for Jon Scullion (80)
Gordon Smith for Grant Gallagher (70)

None. Calum Waters (44)
Darren Barr (83)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 1 app (debut) -
Calum Waters 1 app (debut) -
Darren Barr 1 app (debut) -
Gregor Buchanan 1 app (debut) -
Grant Gallagher 1 app (debut)2 goals
Willie Gibson 1 app (debut) -
Jamie Lindsay 1 app (debut) -
Jon Routledge 1 app (debut) -
Scott Taggart 36 apps2 goals
Garry Fleming 102 apps17 goals
Kevin Cawley 1 app (debut) -
Gordon Smith (sub) 1 app (debut) -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Calum Waters (19 years 141 days)
Oldest Player:Mark Brown (34 years 155 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 90 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Nathan Adger (16 years 275 days)
Oldest Player:Mark Brown (34 years 155 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 297 days
Domestic Players:16 (94.12 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Calum Waters(Signed July 7th, 2015)
Darren Barr(Signed July 1st, 2015)
Grant Gallagher(Signed May 28th, 2015)
Gregor Buchanan(Signed May 28th, 2015)
Jamie Lindsay(Signed July 23rd, 2015)
Jon Routledge(Signed July 7th, 2015)
Kevin Cawley(Signed June 3rd, 2015)
Mark Brown(Signed June 17th, 2015)
Willie Gibson(Signed June 17th, 2015)
Gordon Smith(Signed June 19th, 2015)


DUMBARTON started the new season positively with a 3-2 Petrofac Training Cup win over neighbours Greenock Morton at a sunny Cappielow. Two goals for Grant Gallagher the first a well-worked header and the second a sharply drilled shot gave Sons a comfortable lead by the end of the first half. But after Sons went three up in the second half, Morton struck back with two goals, testing the visitors in the final minutes of the game.

The start was as good as Sons could have hoped for. Just six minutes in, they went 1-0 up. A fine pass from Buchanan to Scott Taggart, followed by a first-time, cross found Gallagher, who adjusted well to head home past a stunned 'Ton defence. Minutes later Kevin Cawley tried a decent shot from 18 yards out, but it went wide. Sons kept up the early pressure. A well-judged lob from Jon Routledge to found Taggart again. He controlled the ball adroitly, but his strike ended up going out harmlessly for a throw-in. Then a free kick whipped in by Willie Gibson saw Taggart go for an overhead kick. It was a spectacular effort. However, Morton 'keeper Derek Gaston gathered the ball without difficulty. Sons remained well on top over the course of the first half hour. The home side had possession from time to time, but were failing to capitalize on it. Then on 29 minutes Grant Gallagher grabbed the ball again and drilled a shot home past Gaston to give Dumbarton a 2-0 lead. 'Ton struck back immediately, putting the visitors' defence under severe pressure. As the ball ricocheted dangerously around the area, somehow Sons' back line managed to keep it out of the net. At the other end Gallagher had another attempt. This time his strike from the edge of the area was well held by Gaston. It could have been a third goal for the visitors before half time, but the referee ruled the goal out for what he saw as an infringement on the under-pressure Morton 'keeper.

The home team came out strongly after the break, but Dumbarton were soon back in control again, with Willie Gibson and Garry Fleming, particularly, intimidating their defence. Gregor Buchanan made two important blocks in the penalty box as the Greenock side piled on the pressure in an attempt to get back into the game. 'Ton's Joe McKee went down with cramp, leading to a slight delay. When the action resumed, Callum Waters set up another chance for an eager Gallagher, who headed into the arms of Gaston. Then Cawley had an opportunity to extend Sons' lead, but he could not connect properly to Routlege's delivery. Shortly afterwards, on 65 minutes, Garry Fleming stepped up to put Dumbarton into a seemingly unassailable three goal lead. He deservedly made it 3-0 for sprightly Sons, with a nifty lob over the stranded Morton 'keeper, after chasing the ball down. It looked as if the game had been wrapped up. But the home side had other ideas after Dumbarton boss Stevie Aitken made his only change of the afternoon, bringing on Gordon Smith for Gallagher on 70 minutes. Bobby Barr then signaled the beginning of a late comeback by the 'Ton, striking a shot which required Sons 'keeper Mark Brown to show strong nerves and technique in turning it away at close range. On 73 minutes the men from Greenock pulled one back, as Lee Kilday hooked the ball home from a free kick after some lax defending. The home team had their tails up and started to make it difficult for their opponents. What looked like a relatively soft penalty decision for holding in the area then enabled MacDonald to claim a second for Morton near the end ten minutes later. However, Sons held their nerves and played a good tactical game to see the remaining minutes away. The result is a great boost for Stevie Aitken's new side. It is only the fourth time in 25 attempts that Sons have made it past the first round in this competition.

Match report by Simon Barrow

Photography by Donald Fullarton

Programme cover / Team sheet