Arbroath 1 - 2 Dumbarton

League - Championship play off semi final 1st leg
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018, 7:45 PM at Gayfield
Attendance: 892
Referee: Nick Walsh
Arbroath v Dumbarton, May 2nd 2018, Gayfield
Arbroath Dumbarton 

Robert Linn (64) Calum Gallagher  (55)
Craig Barr (90)

Team Managers
Dick Campbell Stevie Aitken

Starting Eleven
David Hutton
Thomas O'Brien
Colin Hamilton
Richard Little
Scott Martin
Blair Yule
Gavin Swankie
Daniel Denholm
Robert Linn
Michael McKenna
Ryan Wallace
Scott Gallacher
Craig Barr
Liam Dick
Andy Dowie
Danny Handling
Stuart Carswell
Kyle Hutton
David Smith
Andy Stirling
Tom Walsh
Calum Gallagher

Omar Kader
Mark Whatley
Ricky Gomes
Josh Skelly
David Gold
Leighton McIntosh
Kane Hester
Jamie Ewings
Liam Burt
Dimitris Froxylias
Grant Gallagher
Mark Stewart
Kevin Nisbet
Iain Russell

David Gold for Daniel Denholm (71)
Leighton McIntosh for Michael McKenna (79)
Kane Hester for Ryan Wallace (80)
Iain Russell for Calum Gallagher (72)
Liam Burt for Tom Walsh (80)

Scott Martin (62)
Gavin Swankie (90)

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Scott Gallacher (GK) 48 apps -
Craig Barr 45 apps5 goals
Liam Dick 14 apps -
Andy Dowie 45 apps -
Danny Handling 21 apps3 goals
Stuart Carswell 51 apps1 goal
Kyle Hutton 44 apps -
David Smith 69 apps2 goals
Andy Stirling 54 apps3 goals
Tom Walsh 54 apps4 goals
Calum Gallagher 48 apps7 goals
Liam Burt (sub) 16 apps1 goal
Iain Russell (sub) 129 apps36 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Tom Walsh (21 years 300 days)
Oldest Player:Andy Dowie (35 years 47 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 225 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Liam Burt (19 years 95 days)
Oldest Player:Iain Russell (35 years 178 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 335 days
Domestic Players:17 (94.44 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


IN January 2012, Dumbarton ended a long winless run by beating Arbroath with an injury time goal.

It gave them the momentum to go on and make it a memorable season when they won the play-offs for a place in the second tier of Scottish football.

May 2018 - Dumbarton ended a long winless run by beating Arbroath with an injury time goal.

Could it?

Where it was Pat Walker six and a half years ago, it was Craig Barr this time around. In the third minute of injury time his header was saved, but he reacted quickest to stick the rebound away.

For most of the night it looked like Saturday's play-off semi-final second leg would be a straight knock-out tie, with no away goals rule.

Calum Gallagher's header on 55 minutes was equalised nine minutes later by Bobby Linn. Chances came and went for each team until Barr's late heroics.

Saturday will still be nerve-shredding stuff, but it is advantage Sons - all that could be asked for on the night.

While the second half was exciting, the first was rather pedestrian fare. On 15 minutes a Danny Handling header was touched away by the keeper. It fell to Tom Walsh, but he was flagged offside.

Colin Hamilton and Ryan Wallace each narrowly missed for Arbroath before another Walsh effort, this time onside, flashed across goal and passed.

Just before half time there was a real escape. Wallace charged down Scott Gallacher's clearance and set up Michael McKenna, but the midfielder shot wide.

Sons had defended against the wind in the first half and hoped to use it to their advantage after the restart. Typically, the wind died down.

But 10 minutes after the interval, Andy Stirling's cross found Walsh at the back post. He headed it back to the edge of the six yard box where Gallagher was waiting to head home.

The lead, though, lasted only nine minutes, as a free kick came into the area and Linn got there first to power home a header.

Arbroath were now moving again and Blair Yule forced an excellent save from Gallacher before Gavin Swankie blasted over when well placed.

A Stirling cross bent towards goal and rebounded from the post, but the home side were still dangerous and with 13 minutes left, David Smith cleared off the line twice. A third effort, this time from Linn, was pushed over by Gallacher.

In the final 10 minutes Dumbarton ramped things up again. Stirling shot narrowly wide after beating two defenders before Iain Russell sliced past from close range.

When Hamilton put Liam Burt's low ball over his own bar with a minute to go, that seemed to be it. All back to Sons' place on Saturday to do it all again with a blank canvas.

But when Smith's cross found Barr in the third added minute, it was advantage Dumbarton.

The job has still to be finished and will take a great deal of work to be complete. Sons, though, have the edge at the start of play.

How are your nerves for Saturday?

Match report by Andy Galloway